Sunday, 20 December 2015

Daily League #52: Quad Max Sudoku

This is the third puzzle in the 'Quad Sudoku' series. This time once again a common variant. I picked this type as it's not an arithmetic variant and many of the Quad variants are arithmetic in nature. It's also a type that I enjoy solving.
In the design I wanted to see how far I could get with just Quad Max clues. I knew that eventually had to use givens as there is no way to differentiate between 1s and 2s with these clues. I think the design worked out well. The puzzle in the end has four givens. One of them is not necessary for uniqueness, but I wanted to keep the symmetry and it didn't ruin the solving path. The last few digits are a bit tricky, but I thought it was okay with so few digits remaining.

Rules for Sudoku 

In this Sudoku, an arrow on a grid point points to the highest digit in the four cells around it. Digits may repeat around an arrow, but the highest digit is always unique.


Click to enlarge

No comments:

Post a Comment