Sunday 8 October 2017

WSC Practice #9: Round 12 - What Is It?

This is the 9th practice puzzle for the 2017 WSC.

These are the last 2 practice puzzles for the WSC. I'll be focussing on the WPC a bit for the next week. That's the championship where I'm actually competitive. I don't know whether I'll be posting puzzles yet for the WPC, but they might show up.
Nine posts also seems the appropriate number for a Sudoku competition. This time they are two practice puzzles for the instructionless round.
If someone has any specific request for a puzzle type, I might be persuaded to make another. Let me know.

I figured this is a round that might need some practice too. I don't think for either puzzle the rules are too hard to figure out. It's possible that both ideas have been done before. I can't remember seeing them before, but my memory isn't perfect. They're not exactly innovative ideas.
I think the first puzzle is probably more like a puzzle in the actual test. It's a just simple addition to a Sudoku grid. I had fun writing them, but with a bit more time I could have made them a bit nicer.
The second puzzle I'm not sure whether it qualifies as a Sudoku puzzle. It has all the rules of a normal Sudoku puzzle but it doesn't uses numbers like most Sudoku puzzles. I think the rules are pretty simple. I had a lot of fun writing them, so they should be fun to solve, I think.
Try the examples too. They're both fun puzzles too.

Rules for Sudoku

In this Sudoku the additional rules are not given. An example and solution are given of the Sudoku variant. Figure out the additional rule from the example and solve the puzzle.

Rules Puzzle #1 (highlight if needed): Each marked 2-cell area contains a 2-digit number, read left to right or top to bottom. The first marked 2-cell area seen by an arrow must contain a larger 2-digit number than the arrow.
Rules Puzzle #2 (highlight if needed): Place 8 arrows (fghimlkj) once in every row, column and marked 3x3 area. Numbers in the grid indicate how many arrows are pointing at that cell.

Puzzle #1



Puzzle #2


 

1 comment: