Saturday 2 March 2013

Daily League Sudoku #6: Quad Second Sudoku

First off, yesterday the Puzzle Marathon on Logicmasters India started. It is a puzzle test which features 12 large puzzles by 12different authors. The contest will run from March 1st-March 10th. You can solve each puzzle seperately over the course of the week. This test features a Maxi Loop puzzle by me. Everyone should try to compete as there will definitely be some very nice puzzles. Even if you can only manage to solve a few of the puzzles, it should be worth the time.

Now back to this week's Daily League Sudoku. The last week has featured a nice Multiplication Table Sudoku by Seungjae Kwak, an easy Killer Pair Sudoku by Fred Stalder, a challenging but fun Point to the Next Sudoku by Prasanna Seshadri, a very hard Greater than Killer by Bastien Vial-Jaime, a Non-Consecutive Anti-Knight Sudoku by Rishi Puri and a Classic Sudoku by Tom Collyer.

This time I've made a Quad Second Sudoku, which is a twist on the Quad Max Sudoku. As far as I know it's an original variant. I think it changes the solve of a Quad Max enough to make for a fun new variant. For me personally this is my favourite puzzle I have made for the League so far. I think I got the right difficulty with this puzzle compared to some of my earlier puzzles. Hope enjoy it.

Lastly, here are the link to the PDF of Week 6.

Rules for Sudoku

In this Sudoku an arrow points at the second highest digit in the four cells around it. Digits may repeat around an arrow, but the second highest digit is always unique.


Click to enlarge

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I completely understand the quad rule. If four such squares contain only the three values 1, 5, and 9, then of course the 5 appears only once, but does 9?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In that situation only 9511 would be a valid digit combination. With 9951 5 would be the third highest digit. When 2 equal for first, the next digit is third.

      Delete