Saturday 16 March 2013

Daily League Sudoku #8: Sum Sandwich Sudoku

Next week will be Richard Stolk's third LMI Sudoku test. The test is named V2V or Variations to Variations. It features 14 Sudoku puzzles, which consist of 7 Sudoku Variants and a variation of each. This week's Sudoku will be one of the V2V puzzle types.

I've chosen Sum Sandwich Sudoku as this week's puzzle type. I was debating between Rank Killer Sudoku and Sum Sandwich Sudoku, but I feel I generally design better Sudokus with outside clues. That's why I chose Sum Sandwich Sudoku. My first thought was to see if I could make one without any inside clues. But to set that up I was doing a lot of analysis of the interaction between clues, which I figure was making it a bit too hard. So I figured I'd probably better just make a more solvable Sudoku. So I set up the nice diagonal line of clues and started with the design. It still turned out a bit on the harder side, even though the all numbers are given did lead to a few unintended outside clues. But they don't ruin the opening, so I'm happy with the result. Enjoy.

It is now also possible to solve the Daily League puzzles on SudokuCup. The puzzles will appear there one day after they appear in the group and on the respective blogs.

A recap of the last week of the Daily League: Seungjae Kwak's Odd Sudoku, Fred Stalder's Diagonally Non-Consecutive Sudoku, Prasanna Seshadri's Galloping Horses Sudoku, Bastien Vial-Jaime's Figures Sudoku, Rishi Puri's Anti-Knight Sudoku and Tom Collyer's Diagonal Sudoku.

Rules for Sudoku

In this Sudoku for each row and column all digits are given that are sandwiched by two digits whose sum is equal to itself.


Click to enlarge

No comments:

Post a Comment