Sunday 13 December 2015

Daily League #51: Quad No Difference Sudoku

This is the second puzzle in the 'Quad' Sudoku series. As far as I'm aware this is a new variant. It's the first puzzle I wrote for this series. I just thought it would be better to open the series with something more common. I thought the variant worked pretty nicely.
The design was a bit tricky. I had a different layout in mind, but I couldn't find a way to get that layout unique without giving digits around a clue. That was something I was trying to avoid as I think these Quad Sudokus look nicer when there are no digits given around the Quad clues. I changed the layout a bit in the left top and right bottom nonet. Originally the right bottom nonet was to get a Quad clue as well, but there was no way to force the 5 with such a clue. I needed that 5 for uniqueness. I still think it's a nice looking puzzle and it should be a good solve.

Rules for Sudoku

In this Sudoku, a clue given on a grid point indicates that no two of the four digits around it have this difference. E.g. a 3 clue indicates that no two of the four digits around it have a difference of 3.


Click to enlarge

No comments:

Post a Comment