Friday 5 October 2012

World Puzzle Championship 2012: Round 9 Metropolis

This round features seven Skyscrapers puzzles. One standard and six variants. A few new variants and a few more common variants. I think this puzzle should be fun. I think I can do well in it.
This was my favourite round to design. That's why I designed an example of each variant. At first I was planning to do only 3, but I couldn't really choose which ones. So in the end I ended up making one of each. The Dubai puzzle is medium to hard. The normal way of thinking is changed a bit by the extra number. New York makes this even a little harder, because one cell remains empty. This increases the amount of possibilities for each clue. This puzzle is my favourite in the set. Toronto isn't that hard a puzzle. It's the most common variant in the bunch. The Sydney puzzle has very little clues and I think it worked out really nicely. Tokyo I thought would be hardest to design, but it actually went pretty well. The first try ended up correct and I think the puzzle is fun. Sao Paulo isn't too hard. I like how the idea works as it's different from other variants seen before.
Hope you enjoy them as much as I did making them.

Puzzles can be found below.

Rules for Skyscrapers

9-2 Dubai

Rules:
Follow regular Skyscrapers rules. Additionally, you can use the digits 1~7 instead of only 1~6.



9-3 New York

Rules:
Follow regular Skyscrapers rules. Additionally, you can use the digits 1~7 instead of only 1~6. Also, one of the squares remains empty.



9-4 Toronto

Rules:
Follow regular Skyscrapers rules. Additionally, you can use the digits 1~5. In each row and column one cell will remain empty.



9-5 Sydney

Rules:
Follow regular Skyscrapers rules. Additionally, the numbers on the outside represent the sum of the visible digits, excluding the first visible digit.



9-6 Tokyo

Rules:
Follow regular Skyscrapers rules. Additionally, you can use the digits 1~5. In every row and column one digit is repeated.



9-7 Sao Paulo

Rules:
Follow regular Skyscrapers rules. Additionally, the numbers on the outside indicate the sum of the digits in between the visible digits.



No comments:

Post a Comment