Sunday 9 October 2011

Puzzle #28: Killer Sudoku

I've always liked Killer Sudokus. I enjoy solving the harder ones as well, which really need pencilmark eliminations if you want to find a nice logical way.
Competitionwise I usualy don't really find Killer Sudokus very interesting though. It's far too easy to turn out a quick Killer Sudoku. It's possible though to make the human element shine through a bit more. Those are the kinds of Killer Sudokus I find the most suitable for championships. I think that's why the Killer Sudoku in the latest United States Sudoku Championship was so much appreciated.
I think I managed to do the same with this Killer Sudoku. I made it a little while back for my girlfriend. The cages are to spell out an A four times. I am really happy with this puzzle.

Rules for Sudoku

Instead of given numbers, you now have a few dashed cages. The number in the cage indicates the sum of the digits in the cage, Digits can't be repeated in any dashed cage.

3 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed. You really do have a unique style, which I really enjoy. Really surprising how good of a puzzle can you get with a cage structure that is almost aligned with the 3x3 boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. The cage/combo work is actually what I like best from Killer Sudoku. I solved them for a while before I realised there was something like the 45-test to give you numbers or sums. I sometimes still catch myself completely forgetting about 45-tests while solving a Killer Sudoku. It usually makes the solve harder, but also more enjoyable to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadnt time to solve puzzles in October. Now I solved this one. Really good puzzle.

    ReplyDelete